See how to use Kodi to watch TV, movies, sports, and more. Simple, step-by-step help to get started in minutes.
If you’re new to Kodi, don’t worry. It’s really easy to use and takes only a few minutes to set up. Then you can start watching your favorite channels, shows, and sports events, both live and on-demand — without the pricey subscriptions!
What Is Kodi?
Kodi is a digital media player. You can use Kodi on any device to stream live TV, live sports, TV shows, movies, and more from the internet, all for free. You can watch just about anything on Kodi, and there’s more content available all the time. Kodi is free to download and use, and very easy even for beginners.
Don’t Risk It — Always Use A VPN With Kodi
You can use Kodi to watch all your favorite channels, movies, and sports without paying for subscriptions. But you will need to use a VPN (virtual private network) with Kodi for a few different reasons.
First, without a VPN, you won’t be able to watch all the great, free content on Kodi. To do so, you have to install special third-party add-ons — and to install these add-ons you have to use a VPN.
Plus, TV networks and big media companies don’t want you to watch their stuff for free. So you have to be careful to hide your identity when you use Kodi, including your computer or device’s IP address. (Kodi is legal, but the issue is complicated. See Is Kodi Legal? to learn more.)
Finally, because Kodi is extremely popular, hackers like to target Kodi to steal users’ personal information. In fact, Kodi has several security vulnerabilities that can put you at risk if you don’t secure your connection. So you also need to take steps to secure your connection on Kodi.
Thankfully, hiding your identity and securing your connection is very easy to do. You just need to use a Kodi VPN. We walk you through the 5-minute set-up below.
I’m Ready To Try It. Now What?
Just follow the steps below to start watching tons of great stuff on Kodi, for zero dollars. You’ll be streaming your favorite channels in no time!
How To Use Kodi — Step-By-Step Help For Beginners
FIRST: Hide your identity and secure your connection on Kodi with a VPN.
Kodi users know that using a VPN with Kodi is a must to:
- Hide your identity
- Secure your connection
- Let you install the Kodi add-ons you need to watch TV without subscriptions
- Unblock all TV, movies, and sports content on Kodi
Not all VPNs work well with Kodi, however. We’ve tested dozens of the top VPNs to find the best ones for Kodi — check out our list of the best Kodi VPNs here.
Our #1 Kodi VPN is NordVPN. This is based on extensive testing, critics’ reviews, popularity among Kodi users, and personal experience. NordVPN is optimized to work with Kodi, so you get the fastest streaming speeds and maximum privacy protection. NordVPN is also a PC Magazine Editor’s Choice VPN for three years running.
2. Download the NordVPN app for the device(s) you want to use with Kodi. You can use up to 6 devices at once with a single NordVPN account.
3. Connect to a NordVPN server. Your identity is now hidden, and your connection is secured. No one can spy on your activities or see your personal data. You’re now ready to install Kodi!
NEXT: Download and install Kodi
Now it’s time to download and install Kodi. You can use Kodi on your computer, mobile, gaming system, streaming device, and more.
FOLLOW THESE STEPS:
1. Go to the official Kodi website and download Kodi for the device(s) you want to use. Then follow the steps to install it.
2. Connect to a NordVPN server (if you aren’t already) and launch the Kodi app. You’ll see the Kodi Home Screen.
3. You need to change one of the settings in Kodi to allow third-party add-ons. These are what you’ll use to watch TV without needing costly subscriptions. To do this, go to Home > System (the gear icon) > System settings > Add-ons. Activate the ‘Unknown Sources’ option. You’ll see a WARNING! message saying add-ons will have access to your personal data. As long as you’re using a VPN with sufficient security and privacy protection — like one of these — you can proceed.
Now you’re ready to get the Kodi add-ons you’ll need to watch TV. Kodi add-ons are like the apps on your phone. They let you do lots of cool things with Kodi, like stream live TV from your favorite channels. Most Kodi add-ons are free; all of the add-ons we’ll be talking about here are free.
NEXT: Get Kodi add-ons
Kodi add-ons are like the apps on your phone. Add-ons are what will let you watch all your favorite TV shows, channels, movies, and live sports — without spending a dime.
There are hundreds of Kodi add-ons. There are also several different ways to install Kodi add-ons. We’ll show you the easiest way for beginners to get started — by installing a Kodi build.
A Kodi build is just a version of Kodi with all the customizations done for you. Plus, the good builds come with tons of the most popular add-ons already included, saving you the hassle of installing them yourself. For watching TV on Kodi, we recommend the No Limits Magic Build. Here’s how to install it.
FOLLOW THESE STEPS:
1. Connect to a NordVPN server (if you aren’t already) and launch the Kodi app. You’ll see the Kodi Home Screen.
2. Click on the Settings icon in the top left corner, then go to System Settings > Expert Mode > Addons.
3. Make sure you followed the steps above to turn on ‘Unknown Sources‘ — but only if you’re using a VPN. Otherwise, you won’t be able to install the build or third-party add-ons.
4. When the warning box pops up, as long as you’re connected to your VPN, you can click ‘Yes‘.
5. Now go back to the Kodi home screen and click the ‘Settings‘ icon. Then go to File Manager > Add Source.
6. Select None and enter the following path without the quotes “http://nolimitsbuilds.com/kodi”
7. Name it ‘NoLimits‘ and click ‘OK‘.
8. Go back to the Kodi Home Screen > Add-ons.
9. Click on the package installer icon.
10. Select ‘Install from Zip File’ > NoLimits > plugin.video.nolimitswizard.zip.
11. Wait for the ‘Add-on Enabled‘ notification box.
12. From the Kodi Home Screen, select Add-ons > Program Add-ons.
13. Choose ‘No Limits Build Wizard’ > ‘1-No Limits Magic‘.
14. The download and installation process will begin, and then Kodi will restart.
That’s it! You’re now ready to start watching TV on Kodi!
LAST STEP: Start watching TV on Kodi
You can now explore everything Kodi has to offer and start watching TV without paying pricey monthly fees. The No Limits Magic build has sections for Live TV, Networks, Sports, TV shows, Movies, and more. Click on each of these to find the channel, show, sports event, or other content you want to watch. The selection is constantly being updated, so chances are you’ll always find some great — free! — entertainment.
Enjoy watching TV on Kodi!